This recipe for Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes is creamy, rich, and delicious. Make these for your next family or holiday party and we guarantee you won’t have any leftovers!
Try serving Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes with our French Onion Pork Chops for a hearty meal the whole family will love.
- 5 large potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup Coloma Frozen Foods Diced Onions
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon cracked pepper
- 2 1/2 cups milk (we prefer whole milk)
- 1-8 ounce bag of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray.
- Scrub, peel, and cut potatoes into slices about 1/4" thick. Cut slices into quarters to speed up cooking. Place potatoes in 9"x13" baking dish.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan, add onions, and cook for 6-8 minutes or until tender.
- Add flour, stir.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Slowly stir in milk and 8 ounce bag of sharp cheddar cheese, stirring constantly.
- Place pan back on burner at medium heat and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add salt and pepper to mixture and stir.
- Add melted cheese, butter, and onion mixture to potatoes in baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour.
- Mix bread crumbs and additional 8 ounce package cheddar cheese and sprinkle on top of cooked cheesy potatoes.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until top is brown and bubbly.
- Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
- Sharp cheddar or mild cheddar cheese can be used for this recipe. It's not necessary to have both if they are not available. Any other variety of cheese will also work well, however we suggest using sharp cheddar cheese for its strong taste.