Chicken and Flitters are the ultimate comfort food. This classic dish combines tender chicken and soft flitters together in a tasty broth. What could be better?
Thanks to Darla (Dewig) Kiesel for this recipe!
- 1 whole roasting chicken, approximately 3 to 4 pounds
- vegetable soup mix
- 8 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Coloma Frozen Foods Diced Onions
- 1 package Pennsylvania Dutch Square Egg Noodles
- 4 Tablespoons chicken paste
- Take fresh chicken and discard any gibblets or any packaging inside chicken.
- Generously rub roasting chicken with vegetable soup mix.
- Place slow cooker liner in crockpot then add chicken, butter and onions.
- Add water to slow cooker to just about cover the chicken, but not full enough to run over.
- Cook chicken in slow cooker for 6 hours on medium heat.
- Take chicken out and cool.
- Save all water (broth), and cool.
- When cool enough shred chicken, discarding all skin and bones.
- Place each in separate containers and cool overnight.
- In a large pot add shredded chicken, ¾ of the broth, 6 Tablespoons chicken soup mix, and 4 Tablespoons chicken paste.
- Cook until boiling and then reduce heat to medium.
- Add Pennsylvania Dutch Noodles. DO NOT dump entire bag in. The noodles will stick together. Drop the noodles in one by one.
- You will most likely have to add the rest of the broth when the noodles start absorbing the broth.
- Let cook until noodles are tender, approximately 10 minutes.