Embrace the flavors of summer with these sweet and zesty Lemon Bars. Your friends and family will love how flavorful these bars are, and you’ll love how easy they are to make! With only 6 ingredients, you can whip together this delicious treat.
Looking for other fruity desserts? Check out our other recipes:
Thanks to Rock Recipes for the original version of this super easy recipe. In practicing this recipe we decided to add just a bit of corn starch to thicken up the lemon, which made this recipe spot on.
- 1 cup cold butter cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 4 eggs
- zest of 2 lemons, finely chopped
- juice of 2 lemons, about 2/3 to 3/4 cups of juice
- Using a pastry cutter, blend together the butter, sugar, and flour.
- Press evenly into the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking pan. Our recommendation is to both grease and flour the pan OR spray with cooking spray and sprinkle flour after spray. These bars have a tendency to stick if not properly greased.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F (325 degrees F if using glass bake-ware). The bottom should just be beginning to brown slightly at the tops and edges.
- Whisk together the sugar, flour, corn starch, eggs, zest, and juice until sugar is dissolved.
- Let the topping sit for about 10 minutes before whisking together and pouring over the baked shortbread base.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (or 325 degrees F if using glass bake-ware) for about another 20-25 minutes or until the top is slightly browned and the custard appears to be set.
- Cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar when cool.