Caramelized onions can add a special touch to anything – Dewig Meats Hamburger Patties, Dewig Meats Pork Burgers, Dewig Meats Steaks, or Dewig Meats Pork Chops! Make caramelized onions the easy way – in your slow cooker! The next time you want to treat your family, try this recipe for Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions.
Place a 2-1/2 pound bag of Coloma Frozen Foods Diced Onions in your slow cooker.
Add the rest of your ingredients (see the recipe card below), and mix everything well. Put the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 10-12 hours. Over time, the appearance of the onions will change dramatically!
The onions will be caramelized after about 10 hours of cooking.
If you would like your onions to have a darker color, remove the lid and continue cooking for an additional 2 hours.
Thanks to the Midnight Baker for the original version of this recipe.
- 2-1/2 pound bag Coloma Frozen Foods Diced Onions
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Place onions in a 4-6 quart slow cooker. (We prefer to use Slow Cooker Liners, which we sell at Dewig Meats. It saves a lot of mess.)
- Add all other ingredients. Mix well so onions are coated with the melted butter.
- Cover, and cook on low for 10 hours, stirring occasionally.
- If desired, for a deeper color, cook uncovered for an additional 2 hours.
- After cooking, drain the onions in a colander. Let drain for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using the entire 2-1/2 pound bag of onions seems like a lot, but when the onions are caramelized, they reduce greatly.
- The size of your slow cooker is important. Your slow cooker must be at least half full, or the onions will burn. If you decrease the amount of onions you are cooking, use a smaller slow cooker.
- The caramelized onions freeze well after cooking.