If you need to feed a crowd, these Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches with Dewig Meats Rump Roast are the perfect thing! It’s easy to put together, and the meat simmers all day in your slow cooker. Simply shred the cooked roast, layer it on toasted rolls, and you’ve got the perfect “fast food”!
Special thanks to Deanna Reynolds for this recipe.
- 5 pound beef rump roast
- 1-24 ounce jar pepperoncini peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Hoagie buns
- Thinly sliced Mozzarella or Provolone cheese
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-.7 ounce package dry Italian-style dressing mix
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped
- Drain pepperoncini peppers, reserving liquid. Add enough water to reserved liquid to make 3 cups. Pour the 3 cups of pepperoncini liquid/water mixture into saucepan.
- Add salt, black pepper, oregano, basil, parsley, and salad dressing to saucepan. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then cook for 1 minute.
- Place slow cooker liner in the bottom of slow cooker and place roast in the slow cooker. If a rump roast is used then take the netting off prior to placing in the slow cooker.
- Remove stems of pepperoncini peppers and add peppers, garlic, and shallots around roast in slow cooker.
- Pour salad dressing mixture over roast. Add bay leaf.
- Cover and cook for 10-12 hours on low (or for 4-5 hours on high).
- When done, remove roast from slow cooker.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Shred meat and return to slow cooker.
- Butter Hoagie buns. Toast lightly on a griddle or in a frying pan on low heat.
- Place a generous portion of shredded meat and pepperoncini peppers on bun and top with a slice of cheese.